Beaker bongs are a classic, wide-bottom water pipe that offers improved stability and a cloud of smooth smoke. Beaker-style bongs appear to be more durable than their straight tube counterparts, making them less likely to be knocked off the cat's coffee table.
Another advantage of beaker bongs (vs. straight tube bongs) is that they hold more water and more smoke in the base, allowing for larger, grander hits.
Beaker bongs also have plenty of room for perc (that's short for percolators, ICYMI) that you may choose to add extra filtration to your smoking experience. Certain types of perc simply don’t fit inside a straight tube water pipe, so the beaker's big base is an important factor if you’re set on using specific perc.
The beaker bong and its cute cousin, the bubbler bong, as well as other non-straight bottomed water pipes, tend to have more variety and creativity in their designs, since there's more surface area to work with. Some designs include a lip, a ring, or a slightly more flared base to increase the stability of the piece. If you’re looking for a truly unique piece of glass, you’re sure to find one that incorporates a beaker bottom.
Browse our selection of Beaker Bongs and water pipes now to find the right one within your desired price range!
Types of Bongs
Among Weedipedia shoppers, beaker bongs and water pipes are often common, and we've put together a comprehensive range for you to browse. Our selection includes glass bongs and water pipes from top brands such as Higher Standards, Eyce, Empire Glassworks, GRAV, Marley Natural and many more, Find simple beaker bongs, complex ones with perc already included, and even recyclers.
Why purchase a beaker bong?
The beaker bong offers a few improvements in usability over their simpler cousins, such as straight tube bongs. The wide bases have accomplished three useful things:
- Increase of water volume: The wider chamber increases the amount of water available to cool and filter your hits.
- Improves stability: The wide base gives beaker bongs a very low center of gravity, meaning they’re not easily knocked over.
- Reduces splashbacks: When you take a big hit of a traditional straight bong, water splashes vigorously in the chamber. If you’re not careful, this results in getting bong water in your mouth. The design of the beaker bong combats this, providing you with a bit of a shield against splashbacks.
Considerations when buying a beaker bong
Not all glass beaker bongs are created equal. Here are a few key things you want to look out for when making your purchase:
- Thickness of the glass: The thickness of your bong’s glass will affect its durability as well as it’s weight. This also impacts the price; cheaper bongs tend to have thinner and less durable glass.
- Ice catcher: An ice catcher is a small notches in the neck of the bong which allows ice cubes to sit in the path of the smoke. With ice catchers, the smoke will be more chilled and therefore the smoke will e a lot easier to inhale, as it is much smoother on the throat and lungs.
- Percolators: Percolators help diffuse the smoke before it is filtered through the water. This increases the bong’s ability to filter and cool your hits. They can also look quite interesting and put on a bit of a show as you take a hit from your bong that looks like a mad scientist’s design.
- Downstem: The removable downstem is easy to replace when they break or get clogged up.
The benefits of a beaker bong
A beaker bong has many benefits. Due to the wide chamber base it creates more space for the smoke to accumulate and concentrate. This creates generous hits. As well as generous hits, the beaker bong gives you more controlled rips. Where straight shooter bongs create more direct hits, the beaker bong let’s you decide how big you hit and when to take it, because you have to pull harder.
The design of the beaker bong creates better filtration. The base can hold more water, which helps you generate more bubbles to filter smoke. Also, the fact that the beaker holds more water means that you don’t have to change the water often. It gets less dirty. If you do have to clean the beaker bong it’s also easier. The shape makes cleaning easier. You’ll get all the ash and tar particles out of there.
Another benefit of the design is the fact that it doesn’t tip over. The wide beaker makes for a sturdy base.